Happy valentine's day everyone! This year we decided to make our own v-day dinner to save $ for our upcoming wedding, and also because we actually feel that it's more romantic to cook a meal together.
Ever since we had Hiroshima Okonomiyaki in Japan last month (click here for our post on Hiroshima), we wanted to try making it at home, and v-day serves the perfect excuse! So we headed to a nearby Japanese market and purchased our ingredients:
Ingredients (for 2 portions):
1 pack Okonomiyaki mix
1/2 head cabbage
Dried seaweed (optional)
Sauce (make your own or purchase Okonomiyaki sauce):
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp mayo
1 tsp oyster sauce
The great thing about the Okonomiyaki mix ($4 Cdn) is that it comes with ENGLISH instructions, which is oh-so-valuable for non-Japanese speaking people like myself.
2) Add chopped cabbage, green onion, tempura crisp (included in package), and the eggs to the batter. Remember not to over-mix or else the mixture will become too thick.
3) Now it's ready for cooking! Pre-heat the skillet and add cooking oil. Pour in the entire mixture, and add the bacon strips on top.
4) Wait 5 minutes, and then flip!
5) While it's cooking, you can prepare the sauce. We weren't planning on making our own sauce, but since we forgot to buy Okonomiyaki sauce, we had no option. Turns out its really easy to make - just combine equal parts of ketchup, mayo, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
6) Once both sides are cooked, add dried seaweed and drizzle mayo on top, and there you have it! Your very own Okonomiyaki. By the way, if you have Bonito flakes, be sure to add them on top for added touch.